Pearson Senior Software Developer in Sacramento, California
Senior Software Engineer – Metadata services
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who make it all possible. By embracing a massive digital transformation that includes highly experiential and personalized learning, we are always re-examining and continuously improving the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who are mission-driven and motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better.
We are looking for a highly experienced Senior Software Engineer to help build the next generation of metadata services which will play a large role in delivering Pearson content to millions of Students. The Senior Software Engineer will work as part of a team to code and deliver microservices as part of the larger platform domain strategy. The Principal Solutions Senior Software Engineer will work with multiple teams to build highly scalable systems that deliver highly available learning experiences to consumers. The Senior Software Engineer will be involved with day-to-day design discussions while helping to code and deploy the next versions of our learning platforms. The Senior Software Engineer will leverage technology across all of Pearson to solve problems and be able to influence design decisions for the metadata services group.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
· Work with product and technology teams to build innovative learning applications using Pearson’s learning platform.
· Drive technical decisions in a principled manner. Arbitrate and make decisions that move the development and architecture forward.
· Work collaboratively with other team members and technology teams within Pearson leveraging solutions where appropriate.
· Develop high volume microservices based applications that are fault tolerant and highly available.
· Participate in architecture, code, security and operational reviews.
· Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement. Identify and introduce new technologies and patterns that elevate the platform.
· Work on the next generation content metadata domain.
Specific Work Experience
The following skills and experience are essential:
· Computer Science degree with (Bachelors or above preferred) with 8+ years in software industry.
· Significant experience in developing services-based consumer platforms at high-scale, high-availability, performance and resilience.
· Prior experience building consumer platforms for the education industry.
· Well-versed with content, content transformation and designing scalable content platforms
· Proven experience architecting for the cloud with consideration for security and cost-effectiveness. AWS cloud experience preferred
· Prior experience graph databases with (RDF, SparQL and GraphQL)
· Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality SaaS products that serve millions of people.
· Proficient in designing modular architectures with good separation of concerns and data-modeling principles.
· Proficient in designing microservices in a domain driven culture. Specifically, prior experience in designing GraphQL services.
· Excellent hands-on skills with AWS technologies and several programming languages (Java and Python)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Technology & Operations
Req ID: 249