Pearson Senior Engineer - Application Engineering in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Senior Engineer - Application Engineering
makes it all possible. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Pearson Lanka is currently seeking Senior Application Engineers, who will be having hands on experience in the Datacenter(preferably) and cloud space and will work as a part of a global team. Application Engineers will serve the Pearson Cloud Services stream which stands as the center of excellence for cloud estate at Pearson.
Your responsibilities are to help maintain systems stability, availability, performance levels and you will also have the opportunity to contribute to the design and build of the Pearson Technology Services, involves setting up, supporting, configuring, and maintaining middleware software for development, test, and production servers in geographically-disparate, multi-tiered environments and cloud environments by applying middleware/cloud expertise.
Reporting to the Manager – Pearson Cloud Services, you will form part of a global team that will drive best practice in the hybrid cloud ecosystem. You will be expected to collaborate with, and support other agile product development teams and operational teams whose primary responsibilities will be to support education services in production and pre-production environments.
Based in Orion City, Colombo, you will be a passionate engineer with a hunger to learn and adapt to new technology quickly. We demand people who are naturally curious, self-starter and share learning and outcomes effectively with a distributed team.
We’re proud of our people - their drive, talent and enthusiasm. Here we work together to deliver exceptional outcomes that push the limits. We’re passionate about our mission to help others reach their full potential through learning and education and this passion demands we only hire the very best.
A successful Senior Application Engineer will have:
● 4 year college degree in Computer Science / Information Technology, Bachelor of
Science preferred and at least 4 years of professional work experience.
● English as a business language
● Solid understanding and experience on Cloud computing services (ie: AWS, Azure).
● Competent on scripting (Bash / Shell, Python, PERL, Ruby, Powershell, Ansible etc.)
● CI/Infra Automation (ie: Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Docker, Kubernetes,
● Sound knowledge on Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
● Good understanding on networking, security and load-balancers (F5, HAProxy,
● Experience on relational and NoSQL Databases.
● Experience on Middleware(Tomcat, Weblogic, Apache etc) and Message Queues
● Appreciation of commercial and open source tools and appropriate usage models.
● Accepts project delivery responsibilities and demonstrate accountability to
● Makes optimum utilization of engineering tools and technologies to maintain a high
productivity level in the team.
● Provides realistic and accurate estimates and achieve on-time Delivery.
● Problem solving skills, willingness to learn new technologies.
● An appreciation of the need to consider aspects beyond the technical delivery of the
service such as design/architecture, expectation management, relationship building
and the support wrapper.
● An individual who seeks to gain an understanding of an entire system, who
understands that the system can be constantly improved by identifying the
bottlenecks and improving the feedback loops so that the correct actions can be
● A system thinker.
● Demonstrates the ability to remain calm under pressure in business impacting
● Willing to work on Roster (24\
- 5 on desk and weekend on call rota)
Nice to Have Skills:
● Object oriented, pattern based enterprise development experience.
● Understanding of DevOps and measurements of maturity
● Delivery focused with the ability to interact directly with internal customers as a
● Experience of using Service Now or similar incident and change tracking tools
● Ability to work with product managers, business partners and stakeholders to
understand and help build short term and long term team goals and objectives
● Core and demonstrable experience in leveraging and supporting:
● Cloud Architecture (operationalization Cloud/Non-Cloud)
● Remote computing services (ie: VMWare, Rackspace)
● Monitoring (ie: Zabbix, Gomex, AppD, NewRelic, MSS, Logstash, ELK Stack, Grafana)
● Database (ie: SQL (Oracle, Postgress, SQLServer, MySQL), NoSQL(Mongo,
● SCM (ie: Git, GitHub, Stash, SVN)
● Understanding of Agile tools (ie: Jira, Wiki’s, Confluence Suite)
● Understanding of Agile concepts
Pearson’s corporate values are Brave; Imaginative; Decent and Accountable. It is crucial
that these values resonate with you and you are able to embody these values. You will be
naturally positive, adaptable, proactive, organized and comfortable operating in a changing
and ambiguous environment.
In exchange for your hard work you will be rewarded with a competitive compensation
package, potential eligibility for an annual bonus, supportive peers and management team,
opportunities to participate in sporting and social events, career development, training
programs and other benefits. Other benefits include transportation services, potential
eligibility for Pearson Shares (save for shares scheme), and OPD / Insurance / Medical.
Please apply by submitting a CV and cover letter and please note that only short-listed
candidates will be contacted via phone.
Primary Location: LK-1-Colombo
Work Locations: LK-Colombo-Orion City Rigel Bldg Orion City Rigel Bldg No 752 Dr. Danister De Silva Mawatha Colombo 900
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 11, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1909348
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.