Pearson C1-Software Developer in Colombo, Sri Lanka
The Sofware Engineer will play a key role in the development and implementation of complex, multi-tiered, and distributed Web based software applications. The Sofware Engineer will provide guidance to the team members on aspects of design and development on software development efforts. Individual has to be a representative for the proper adoption of software development methods and technologies. The individual is experienced and fully competent, and can apply/share own expertise to a range of activities, and is viewed as a more seasoned source of technical and/or domain expertise (SME) to others in own area.
Individual will be required to work with dynamic teams that are driven by project delivery goals. Should possess the drive to learn and continuously improve on work performances. All individuals will be required to participate in periodic appraisal cycles to evaluate and determine advancement opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below are the typical duties and responsibilities expected of an individual for the job title described in this document. The items specified below are a guideline of the minimum expectations for the job title; changes will be made on a case-by-case basis for individuals who show potential to take on more responsibilities.
Other duties may be assigned time to time.
· Responsible for design details under direction from Architects and clearly understand and defend trade-offs made.
· Maintain effective communication between team members and collaborates with the management to drive new initiatives.
· Ensures that code artifacts produced are of the highest quality, conforming to set or agreed upon standard. Should advocate such consistency to all members of the team.
· Makes optimum utilization of engineering tools and technologies to maintain a high productivity level in the team
· Provides realistic and accurate estimates and continuously improve on team productivity to achieve on-time Delivery.
· Follows the Pearson processes, agile practices and standards.
· Escalates and communicates issues, risks and concerns to the management on time.
· Accepts project delivery responsibilities and demonstrate accountability to leadership.
· Builds competencies in product and technology domain to set expectations.
· Adhere to Pearson values and ethical practices.
· Maintains a sense of individuality in thinking and decision making.
· Is a professional in work aspects as well as conduct with other individuals.
· Provides feedback regarding product quality, performance, other non functional requirements
· Supports the engineering management in the recruitment process.
· Directly engage with the product management for requirement analysis and clarifications
· Provides feedback to Software Engineering Manager to conduct performance appraisals/confirmations/promotions on team members
Qualifications - External
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Individual should possess a Bachelor's degree in Computing or Information Technology. Individuals who have a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, or a specialization in the Engineering field will also be considered.
Minimum five (2) years of experience in software engineering and design
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Possess advanced knowledge of Object Oriented Programming and Design
· Very good interpersonal skills with the ability to work in multiple development teams
· Strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience in one or more technology stack (Java) and good working knowledge of open source tools and technologies.
· A good understanding of Software Engineering Best Practices and ability to define and drive this within the teams
· Very good understanding and experience in design and implementation of enterprise applications
· Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills (including English language skills) and the ability to interact promptly and professionally with teams across different time zones.
· Ability to work in a team environment collaboratively with positive attitude
· Ability to learn new technologies rapidly and share knowledge with other team members
· The desire to learn and continuously improve on the product quality, performance and other non-functional requirements.
· Provision of in-depth technical skills to fix ad hoc incidents/problems, mentoring and support DevOps teams to ensure best practice.
· A good understanding of Architectural and Design patterns
· Desirable Experience or Knowledge in the following areas:
· API Development
· Source control systems
· Unit testing and test automation frameworks
· Continuous integration and continuous deployment tools and technologies
· Agile practices
· Web Services - RESTful Web Services
· Database design and programming
· Responsive Web Design
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
· Oracle Certifications ( Java , Middleware , Database , Operating Systems)
· Certified Scrum Master( CSM)
. AWS certifications
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Organization: Technology & Operations
Req ID: 279