Pearson Senior Instructional Designer, Online Learning in Cambridge, United Kingdom
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company.
At Pearson (FTSE 100) we believe in the power of difference; harnessing the unique skills, perspectives, and backgrounds of every employee helps us foster innovation and create the most effective solutions for learners around the world. That’s why we’re committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are embedded into everything we do. We foster a work environment that’s inclusive and diverse — and where our people can be themselves — so we can reflect the customers and learners we serve. You can learn more about our commitment to a diverse and inclusive culture here:
We are delighted to be awarded Gold against the Investors in People standard in the UK; we are confirmed by Stonewallin the Top 100 LGBTQ+ UK employers; we are a Disability Confident committed employer, and committed to the Race Charter; we were recognised in the Best Employers for Diversity 2019 awards; we were featured on The Forbes List of Best D&I Employers; we are a Working Mums Top Employer and Age Positive employer. Pearson is a truly global family, andlisted on the London and New York Stock Exchanges. We are proud to offer an exceptionaland supportive environment to develop your professional career!
Your Career Opportunity
Senior Instructional Designer, Online Learning
UK work from home position with occasional UK travel required
Permanent & full-time working 37.5 hours per week
Reporting to Content Development Manager
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an innovative new online learning service that Pearson has launched in the UK. Working in partnership with universities across the UK, the division provides online learning services including marketing, student recruitment, course content development, training and ongoing student support and retention. The team is currently going through a period of unprecedented growth due to a surge in demand for online learning.
The Senior Instructional Designer is responsible for managing the content development process for modules assigned from handover of the final learning design, UX and technology solution by Academic Services to handover of final and complete content (including storyboards, asset briefs, transcripts) to Content Production, ensuring that the learning design and content quality and treatment is as envisioned and maintained throughout development. The Senior Instructional Designer will work collaboratively with academics, ensuring that the raw content deliverables are of the desired quality in order to achieve the desired outcomes.
This role will also manage and oversee a team of Instructional Designers, ensuring consistency of approach and the highest quality across units. You’ll need to be prepared to script and storyboard where needed and work collaboratively with colleagues on project priorities. You’ll work closely with cross-functional team to deliver modules on time, to specification and within budget.
Your Key Responsibilities
Academic / SME Management;
● Manage and consult with academics for modules assigned. Consultation activities could include face to face/online meetings or in person
● Work with the Lead Instructional Designer to establish guidelines, templates and briefing documentation for academics
● Monitor academic priorities for modules assigned to ensure that the raw content schedule is maintained
Instructional design standards and process;
● In conjunction with Lead Instructional Designer, establish storyboard templates based on agreed ID methodology and course objectives
● Be able to develop and review content in Pearson proprietary authoring tools
● Produce sound instructional materials in accordance with solid instructional principles, client objectives, and project objectives.
● Ensure that necessary rights and permissions have been checked and are cleared for reuse (both third party and Pearson)
● Together with the Content Development Manager, select, engage, coach and manage a strong network of trusted Instructional Designers with the appropriate skill set in collaboration with the Principal Instructional Designer.
Content development standards and process;
● Ensure quality, standards and schedules are maintained or modules assigned
● Ensure all courses remain aligned to agreed brief, client needs and, above all, learner outcomes.
● Brief, train, coach and develop Instructional Designers, to include training and reviewing of all storyboards/content to ensure quality and consistency.
● Ensure content is final and complete for handover to content production team. This includes monitoring and reviewing content for rights & permissions, ensuring accurate ALT text and ensuring that all third party content is appropriately cleared for re-use.
● Provide clear briefs as agreed for all asset creation and incorporate as part of the storyboard process
● Maintain version control as content progresses through the development process.
● During production, manage the content development review/quality assurance process, collating your own and academic feedback for modules assigned
● Ensure that modules are handed over to production on time, to budget and specification. Continuously assess and prioritise to ensure high standards that result in the delivery of a professional final product
● Resolve all project-related issues as they arise, ensuring that key stakeholders are aware of any delays or effect on milestones which may affect delivery. Identify suitable mitigation for any risks.
● Project closure and archiving: ensure that all key and relevant assets and documentation is archived.
● Training and mentoring: train and monitor new instructional designers in best practice
● Support the development of best practice documentation across content development.
Our Successful Candidate
We welcome professionals with experience in instructional design and content development/editing, with knowledge of the end-to-end content development process in online learning. We are looking for experience developing/producing online course materials in a variety of content formats, along with project management skills. You’ll have experience in briefing and managing instructional designers to script content to the required standards and according to schedule, reviewing and feeding-back on the quality of work produced.
Transform your expertise to a new level - we have many exciting and dynamic international projects to look forward to in 2022, therefore now is the ideal time to join our global Pearson family. Apply now for a highly rewarding and truly global career!
Your Benefits & Reward
We’ll expect a lot and we know you’ll do great work, so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business! Along with learning, development and mentoring opportunities, our range of benefits can support the different needs of our diverse colleagues, and their families too. Joining our Pearson family can provide you with unlimited and truly global career progression options, and you can also look forward to exploring our impressive benefits, such as:
A starting holiday of 25 days plus UK public holidays, and you’ll earn 1 additional day’s holiday per year you work with us.
Generous pension scheme where we match and double what you contribute.
Maternity, paternity, and family care leave as well as flexible work policies.
Shares and stock purchase options.
Healthcare and dental plans, and an employee wellbeing assistance programme for you and your family to help balance work, family and personal life.
Cycle to work program, gym membership concessions in selected office locations, along with retail and leisure discounts.
Our Recruitment Process
Please complete and submit your application before 23 January 2022 and ensure that you apply directly on our Pearson Careers website only.
We are reviewing applications regularly and interviews are being scheduled now, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.Wishing you success with your application!
Job: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Organization: Virtual Learning
Req ID: 2251