Pearson Senior Cloud Engineer in Bloomington, Minnesota
Senior Cloud Engineer
Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com) is the global leader in computer-based testing for information technology, academic, government and professional testing programs around the world. Pearson VUE provides a full suite of services from test development to data management, and delivers exams through the world’s most comprehensive and secure network of test centers in more than 180 countries, where we validate the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year.
Pearson VUE is a business of Pearson, the world's leading learning company with global-reach and market-leading businesses. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO).
In this exciting and fast-paced role you will help Pearson VUE in its move to the Cloud in a DevOps culture. You will be responsible for design, implementation and support of the Pearson VUE cloud infrastructure in Azure.
You will work closely within the Development and Operations organizations to support the design, automation, and deployments of applications and infrastructure. You will design and implement the continuous delivery and cloud deployment framework. You should have technical experience in building infrastructure and applications for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery. A key portion of your job will be to help move from a traditional infrastructure deployment model to an infrastructure as code model with automation and monitoring via DevOps.
You should have excellent communication and influencing skills and the ability to work across teams to create optimal business solutions. You should have the ability to effectively communicate with cloud computing vendors and service providers.
Delivery of Cloud infrastructure strategies aligned with business objectives with a focus on Cloud migrations
Provide leadership in infrastructure migration methodologies and techniques including mass application movements into the cloud including:
Design, implementation and support of infrastructure as code
Research new cloud technologies and prototype solutions that can be leveraged to decrease costs and increase performance
Assess and compare cloud native PaaS with cloud-enabled traditional infrastructure
Mentor existing staff on cloud computing best practices and technology to drive cloud adoption
Design of cloud infrastructure with a focus on Azure using industry best practices
Provide code reviews of team members work.
Perform Quality Assurance (i.e. Testing) on other team members development activities.
Participate in agile activities (daily standups, backlog refinement, iteration planning, retrospectives, etc.)
Contribute to team’s backlog by creating stories and defects as they arise
Take ownership of assigned tasking
Participate in on-call rotation (approx once every 6 weeks)
Required skills and experience:
Bachelor's Degree computer Science, MIS or equivalent technology discipline although relevant experience will also be taken into consideration in lieu of degree
•5 years of relevant software development experience, solution design and technical architecture experience
• 2 years experience in cloud computing based services architecture
• Experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment using tools such as Chef or Ansible
• Strong understanding across cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, data, and applications) to deliver end to end cloud infrastructure architectures and designs
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Solutions focused, self-motivated and curious
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly and efficiently
• Programming experience (Java, C#, etc)
• Shell scripting (PowerShell, Python, Bash, etc.)
• Excellent technical analysis and problem solving skills
• Exceptional communication, documentation and reporting skills
• Must be able to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment and be flexible to meet time demands without compromising quality
Preferred knowledge and experience:
• Azure services
• Container technologies such as Docker
• Build automation tools such as Packer
• Building continuous integration and delivery pipelines with tools like Jenkins or Team City
• Designing outageless systems using practices such as Blue / Green or Rolling Deployments
• Experience with Windows and Linux-based operating system configuration, automation and management
• Experience in a managed Kubernetes implementation (KubeSpray, EKS, KOPS)
• Experience with monitoring and analytical tools (Splunk, New Relic)
• Certificate Management (client certificates, server certificates, certificate authorities, etc.)
• Familiarity with cloud based disaster recovery and HA system development
• Infrastructure experience (firewalls, load balancer, AD, DNS, etc)
• Networking experience
• Agile exposure
• DevSecOps (Cloudvisory, Tigera, etc.)
• DNS management
• Continuous infrastructure testing
• F5 Big IP Load Balancer
• GIT based Source Control Systems
• PagerDuty (or other equivalent monitoring tools)
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $125k DOQ. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Primary Location: US-MN-Bloomington
Work Locations: US-MN-Bloomington-5601 Green Valley 5601 Green Valley Drive Suite 220 Bloomington 55437
Organization: Assessments VUE
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 12, 2021
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2011034
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.