Pearson Product Architect (Remote) in Bloomington, Minnesota
As the Product Architect you will provide leadership and architectural direction within the CTRS - Channel Technology, Results, and Security product area. This role is foundational to or team and the work we deliver. The Product Architect takes ownership for all technical matters in their area. You will also be responsible for creating and implementing a long-term vision, orchestrating high-quality software implementations, and maintaining, guiding, and improving architectural integrity and evolution for our area. Additional expectations include the ability to foster high team morale, mentor and coach team members, and ensure best practices and architectural guidelines are followed in your product area.
This position is part of a very strong high performance team, which supports our Test Center support portal, results processing, client data and notifications systems which are essential components of Pearson Vue’s core business.
The Product Architect will:
In this role you will work closely with your Agile Team as well as Product Managers by providing architecture solutions and leadership at the product level. You will do this through leading the development of software that achieves the goals of the architecture and software standards within your product area.
In this role, there are four major functional areas with an expected breakdown of duties as follows:
Architecture & Development
● Create, document, implement, and oversee the long-term vision, architecture and initiatives in the assigned area
● Work with product owners to establish product direction and technology solutions
● Estimate software development requirements and effort, propose alternatives, and prioritize development tasks for a given area.
● Ensure higher level requirements from project stakeholders are satisfied, complete and testable
● Review code and documents for their area to ensure designs and coding are holistic
● Work closely with the Engineering Leads to assess and oversee the technical delivery of high quality projects and products
● Serve as the point person who is accountable for their assigned area and will capture, summarize, and escalate issues as necessary for resolution and awareness
● Provide technical leadership DevOps and Release Management activities
Engineering Leadership & Mentoring
● Strategic and tactical responsibility on a daily basis for developing and enhancing the technical architecture and projects of assigned areas and ensuring user needs are met
● Coordinate and unify the work of architects and team members through the software implementation process
● Provide technical roadmaps and product strategy direction for our existing application portfolio upgrades and our new technology and solutions
● Provide technical mentoring and staff development leadership to our team
● Proactively design training opportunities within the group that align with group goals
● Proactively foster collaboration among technical teams where systems integration is required
Applications Performance Management
● Oversee and Monitor our day to day production environments to maintain high performance and maximum uptime
● Design, maintain and assess items in their assigned area factoring in performance, maintainability/complexity, market trends, innovation, system robustness, scalability, and longer term quality initiatives
● Manage overall system performance and application health by developing system metrics, performance dashboards and system alerts
● Provide leadership and technical direction for performance testing and system tuning activities
Process & Quality Improvement(and other responsibilities)
● Participate in and initiate group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
● Participate in and monitor effectiveness of requirement, design, code, unit test and QA test case reviews and inspections
● Assess and oversee the technical delivery of projects to ensure best practices are followed
● Report any potential opportunities regarding assigned domain, other domains, or client opportunities
● Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
● 10+ years relevant software development experience creating business applications with relational database systems (Experience with Java technologies)
● 3+ years experience in software architecture and design
● 3+ years technical leadership experience
● 3+ years programmatic interaction with relational database systems
● IT Architecture experience in large project development, development lifecycles, development methodologies, project scoping, process improvement, and variety of technologies and tools
● Strong communication skills and experience building architecture diagrams and technology whitepapers
● Experience building technology RFPs and recommending solutions
● Experience with large scale messaging and data driven backend systems
● Ability to understand philosophy of architecture
● Ability to lead and/or coordinate multiple teams or projects concurrently
● Ever expanding knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
● Enterprise knowledge of business and platforms across systems and in our core technology service model
● Proven ability to quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
● Ability to effectively manage, measure, and continuously improve working performance and quality of teams and individuals
● Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
● Must have strong time management and project management skills – including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timeline
● Must develop effective relationships with internal and external contacts and work well within a team
● Mentoring and training skills
Experience with the following tools (Required):
● Java SE AND EE (6 years)
● Spring and Spring Boot framework (3 years)
● Web Services (4 years)
● REST services (4years)
● SQL (6 years)
● JBOSS OR Tomcat (3 years)
● Agile development (4 years)
● Architecture and OOAD Design patterns
Experience with some or all of the following tools (Preferred):
● RabbitMQ or JMS
● Gauge and Selenium
● New Relic
Compensation at Pearson is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific location. As required by the Colorado, California, Washington State, and New York City laws, the pay range for this position is as follows:
The minimum full-time salary range is between $125,000 - $145,000.
This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here.
What to expect from Pearson
Did you know Pearson is one of the 10 most innovative education companies of 2022?
At Pearson, we add life to a lifetime of learning so everyone can realize the life they imagine. We do this by creating vibrant and enriching learning experiences designed for real-life impact. We are on a journey to be 100 percent digital to meet the changing needs of the global population by developing a new strategy with ambitious targets. To deliver on our strategic vision, we have five business divisions that are the foundation for the long-term growth of the company: Assessment & Qualifications, Virtual Learning, English Language Learning, Workforce Skills and Higher Education. Alongside these, we have our corporate divisions: Digital & Technology, Finance, Global Corporate Marketing & Communications, Human Resources, Legal, Strategy and Direct to Consumer. Learn more at We are Pearson.
We value the power of an inclusive culture and also a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to building a workplace where talent can learn, grow and thrive.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We want a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other group protected by law. We strive for a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, navigate to: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Pearson.
If you are an individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career site as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by emailing email@example.com.
Note that the information you provide will stay confidential and will be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 13652