Pearson Manager Finance Business Partnering in Bismarck, North Dakota
Responsible for providing financial support to the Business Development leadership team. The Finance team is responsible for acting as Business Partners driving strategy, planning, and overall financial performance. This position will partner with Business Development leadership to understand the current dynamics in relevant parts of the company portfolio, compared to market trends, and optimize investment opportunities.
Collaboration, partnership, and active stakeholder management are foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and embedding industry best practices to drive sustainable growth is key.
Strategy & Resource Planning
● Applies a strategic planning approach, identifying tools, techniques, and practices that are business enablers and enhancing improvements in cost/performance or sustainability.
● Monitors the finance progress against leadership team strategic goals and identifies bottlenecks to progress, identifying potential solutions, providing advice, and escalating as needed to ensure goals are achieved.
Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
● Supports planning processes, including setting targets, communicating assumptions, coordinating budget preparation, challenging submissions, and seeking synergies upon consolidation.
● Provides the business with relevant financial support to enable effective planning utilizing appropriate budgeting and forecasting techniques.
● Provides reasoned advice on modeling, planning, and forecasting with reference to cost, time, and quality which incorporate the organization's strategic direction.
● Applies common quantitative techniques to model the economic, fiscal, and accounting impact of typical commercial activities, or standard financial structures and instruments.
● Provides analysis to support decision-making, including presenting economic outcomes, identifying the key value drivers, benefits, sensitivities and risks, accounting and fiscal implications.
● Prepares and analyses problems using sensitivity analysis and other techniques; reviews variance analysis and account reconciliations, and identifies significant items requiring the attention of higher-level management.
● Has experience working with multiple business models.
Investment Analysis & Allocation
● Applies a combination of quantitative methods, qualitative judgment, and forward estimates in the development of sophisticated capital investment analysis.
● Communicates investment analysis criteria to non-finance professionals in a clear and concise manner to support decision-making in a resource that drives revenue growth.
● Ability to Influence Others – Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of interested others, and is persuasive when positioning ideas and arguments to address them. Proactively cultivates networks with key individuals across functions to gain support for ideas, creating a foundation for future influence. Ensures that all proposals or arguments are fully supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors.
● Communication – Communicates financial information and concepts in a clear, precise, thorough manner to meet the needs of both finance and non-finance audiences. Ensures that own positions effectively address others' needs and priorities and that concerns are openly discussed and addressed. Projects self-assurance and unshakable confidence to influence outcomes with persuasiveness and candor. Appreciates the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapts personal style as well as approach accordingly.
● Strategic Decision Making – Critically and logically evaluates potential short- and long-term costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making key decisions. Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making decisions.
● Accountability and Ownership – Prioritizes and balances, organizes, and allocates time, actions, and resources to generate significant positive results and achieve critical goals, even in fast-moving or uncertain situations. Anticipates and decisively intervenes, addressing and removing obstacles, and redirects efforts to accelerate work, improves quality, moves the work forward, and/or gets efforts back on track.
● Collaboration and Partnering – Identifies opportunities and takes action to build relationships between own area and other teams/departments to help achieve business goals.
● Change Management Capability – Understands the change management process. Able to influence and lead others to embrace change positively in support of organizational objectives.
● Prioritization – Juggles many priorities and competing demands for one's time. Understands the importance of materiality when prioritizing work.
● Brave – Resilient operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
● Accountable – Demonstrates integrity & delivers what is promised
● Decent – Represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
● Imaginative – Thinks creatively, using insights to improve work
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is at least 90k. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/ (https://neo.pearson.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpearsonbenefitsus.com%2F)
Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience
3-5 years of related finance experience
Advanced excel skills, including scenario modeling
ERP experience (such as Oracle / Hyperion Planning) is a plus
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Req ID: 1485