Pearson FP&A Manager, Operational Costs in Austin, Texas
FP&A Manager, Operational Costs - ( 2106630 )
Responsible for leading all activities related to Operating Cost Management for the Clinical Assessment business and providing financial support to the Clinical Leadership team. The responsibility of this Clinical Assessment finance role is to manage the full operating cost of the business in conjunction with capacity constraints, investment opportunities, and in line with profit and growth expectations. This Clinical Finance Manager role is responsible for acting as Business Partner driving strategy, planning and overall financial performance. This position will partner with Clinical Assessments leadership to understand the current dynamics in relevant parts of the company portfolio, compare to market trends and optimize investment opportunities.
Directly responsible for a cost base of approx. $80M representing the Clinical operating cost.
Collaboration, partnership, and active stakeholder management are foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and embed industry best practice to drive sustainable growth is key.
Strategy & Resource Planning
● Applies a strategic planning approach, identifying tools, techniques and practices that are business enablers and enhance improvements in cost/performance or sustainability.
● Monitors the finance progress against leadership team strategic goals and identifies bottlenecks to progress, identifying potential solutions, providing advice, and escalating as needed to ensure goals are achieved.
Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
● Supports operating cost planning processes, including setting targets, communicating assumptions, coordinating budget preparation, challenging submissions, and seeking synergies upon consolidation.
● Develop and maintain financial models to enable timely and effective budgeting and forecasting in alignment with strategic goals.
● Partner with Portfolio Management team to support end-to-end product and platform planning and long-term profitability strategies.
- Providing analysis of accurate and timely reports, forecasts, budgets, and business cases and delivering insight that link financial reports to business strategies
● Provide analysis to support decision-making by identifying the key value drivers, benefits, sensitivities and risks, accounting, and fiscal implications.
● Challenging current ways of working, driving efficiencies and identifying operational improvement through analysis of financial plans, management information and performance
● Applies a combination of quantitative methods, qualitative judgement and forward estimates in the development of sophisticated capital investment analysis.
● Assures the analysis and planning beyond the scope of capital spending to the wider expenditure (R&D, marketing, talent, etc).
● Communicates investment analysis criteria to non-finance professionals in a clear and concise manner to support decision making that drives revenue growth.
● Prepares analysis and reports that enable the business management to effectively challenge costs and inform decision-making.
● Participates in waste elimination efforts with the business to understand key drivers and cost reduction opportunities.
- Track and report on key performance indicators driving operational costs, identifying cost improvement opportunities
● Ability to Influence Others – Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of interested others, and is persuasive when positioning ideas and arguments to address them. Proactively cultivates networks with key individuals across functions to gain support for ideas, creating a foundation for future influence. Ensures that all proposals or arguments are fully supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors.
● Communication – Communicates financial information and concepts in a clear, precise, thorough manner to meet the needs of both finance and non-finance audiences. Ensures that own positions effectively address others' needs and priorities, and that concerns are openly discussed and addressed. Projects self-assurance and unshakable confidence to influence outcomes with persuasiveness and candor. Appreciates the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapts personal style as well as approach accordingly.
● Strategic Decision Making – Critically and logically evaluates potential short- and long-term costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making key decisions. Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making decisions.
● Accountability and Ownership – Prioritizes and balances, organizes, and allocates time, actions, and resources to generate significant positive results and achieve critical goals, even in fast-moving or uncertain situations. Anticipates and decisively intervenes, addressing and removing obstacles, and redirects efforts to accelerate work, improves quality, moves the work forward, and/or gets efforts back on track.
● Collaboration and Partnering – Identifies opportunities and takes actions to build relationships between own area and other teams/departments to help achieve business goals.
● Change Management Capability – Understands the change management process. Able to influence and lead others to embrace change positively in support of organizational objectives.
- Prioritization – Juggles many priorities and competing demands for one's time. Understands the importance of materiality when prioritizing work.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Recognized accountancy qualification
Advance MS Excel skills and/or analytic tools
Proven ability to work with large data sets and building complex financial models
Prefer experience with Oracle and Hyperion
Brave – Resilient operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
Accountable – Demonstrates integrity & delivers what is promised
Decent – Represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
Imaginative – Thinks creatively, using insights to improve work
Primary Location : US-TX-Austin
Other Locations : US-IA-Iowa City, US-TX-San Antonio, US-MN-Bloomington
Work Locations :
US-TX-Austin-400 Center Ridge
400 Center Ridge DriveTechRidge Three.2 - Suite 100
Job : Finance
Organization : Finance
Employee Status : Regular Employee
Job Type : Standard
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Shift : Day Job
Job Posting : Jun 21, 2021
Job Unposting : Ongoing
Schedule: : Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2106630