Pearson Principal Engineer – Learning Platform in Augusta, Maine
Principal Engineer – Learning Platform
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who make it all possible. By embracing a massive digital transformation that includes highly experiential and personalized learning, we are always re-examining and continuously improving the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who are mission-driven and motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better.
We are looking for Principal Engineers to design and develop Pearson’s next generation learning platforms. The Principal Engineer will be a hands-on leader building highly scalable systems using a services-based architecture to deliver highly experiential learning experiences direct to consumers. The principal engineer will be involved with day-to-day design, implementation and operational discussions while mentoring other engineers within those teams to make sound technical decisions. The Principal Engineer will leverage technology across all of Pearson to solve problems and needs to be able to influence design decisions outside of the learning platform group.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Work with product and technology teams to innovate and evolve Pearson's learning platform.
Lead the design and development for critical services in critical domains.
Drive design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices. Make decisions that move the architecture forward; create best practices and patterns.
Work collaboratively with other technology teams within Pearson leveraging solutions where appropriate.
Mentor senior engineers and technical leads to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices. Build POCs where appropriate and turn POCs into production ready code.
Participate in architecture, code, security and operational reviews.
Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement. Identify and introduce new technologies and patterns that elevate the platform.
Be the go-to expert for technical solutions for various development teams.
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Specific Work Experience
The following skills and experience are essential:
· Computer Science degree with (Masters or above preferred) with 15 years in software industry.
· Significant experience in building services-based consumer platforms at high-scale, high-availability, performance and resilience, preferably using Spring boot, using Domain Driven Design principles.
· Expertise in Java and JVM internals to improve performance and achieve optimal runtime performance.
· Prior experience selecting purpose driven database technologies, driven by use-cases and hands on operational expertise.
· Prior experience building platforms for both consumer and/or the education industry.
· Proven experience architecting for the cloud with consideration for security and cost-effectiveness, preferably hand-on with AWS.
· Prior experience with defining the Service Level Objectives (SLO) and measuring the outcome using appropriate monitoring tools.
· Ability to navigate through different layers of the architecture with proficiency, in order to troubleshoot and find the root cause for an issue.
· Prior experience in reducing & eliminating tech-debt, moving from a monolithic technology stack to a cloud-based service-oriented architecture.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality SaaS products that serve millions of people.
· Proficient in designing modular architectures with good separation of concerns and data-modeling principles.
· Proficient in designing solutions that generate and leverage data to personalize the platform.
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is 200K-210K. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Primary Location: US-RE-Remote
Work Locations: US-Remote Remote
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 20, 2021
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2008948
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.