Sector Manager (Sport)
Learner at the heart
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives throughlearning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technologyand digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transformingPearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us tomake a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute tomore connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strongrelationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint andlocal reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the job
Pearson has a long and successful history and leads the way in the development of its vocational and work‐basedlearning qualification offer across the majority of sectors and at all levels. Our qualifications are developed againstworld class benchmarks to ensure that we equip learners with the underpinning knowledge, skills and behavioursneeded for them to be successful in their careers. We also make sure that we support those delivering ourqualifications with high‐quality learning solutions and continuous professional development: a fully integratedapproach to teaching, learning and assessment. Alongside these developments we complement our offer by ensuringthat, for the future, our solutions are offered digitally. At this time of significant change in the education system and themove to develop differentiated pathways for learners, we need to ensure that we continue to be the leading brand andare at the forefront of providing innovative solutions.Our focus is applied, technical and professional qualifications, holistic apprenticeship and other tender solutions,integrated teaching and learning support and digitally‐enabled learning support and assessment.
This role is responsiblefor Pearson’s integrated offer and the securing and growing of our market share for the allocated sector or sectors. Itwill lead development and delivery of a coherent strategy for the sectors the role is responsible for across all ourcustomers (colleges, training providers, employers and schools).
● To maintain a deep and coherent understanding of teaching, learning and assessment for a sector/sectors throughclose liaison with sector stakeholders
● To maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and market dynamics for a sector / sectors through closeliaison with sector customers (colleges, training providers, employers and schools)
● To lead development of the business strategy for qualification and end‐point assessment developments andtenders in a sector / sectors
● To provide a best‐in‐class customer experience through the free surround, events and information we provide toour customers throughout the lifecycle, continually improving that experience in a sector / sectors
● To contribute to the growth strategy of our vocational and work‐based learning portfolio and the continualimprovement of how we do things as a department and as a wider business.
● To build good understanding and relationships throughout Pearson so colleagues deliver a best‐in class customerexperience
1. Developing and maintaining segment, sector and market insight
● Create and maintain an in‐depth evidence base of learner needs in each segment (e.g. colleges, private trainingproviders, employers and schools) through regular research with tutors, stakeholders and learners
● Create and maintain an in‐depth evidence base of tutor/centre needs and behaviours in each segment throughregular research
● Develop and maintain a deep understanding of competitors, tracking and anticipating their activity
● Develop and maintain relationships with segment and sector stakeholders throughout the life of a qualification orservice, to build an evidence base for qualification and end‐point assessment developments and annual reviewsthrough the lifecycle
● Develop and maintain insight into best practice (pedagogy, assessment) by segment
2. Developing strategy and propositions, managing budgets, and forecasting
● Manage qualifications through their lifecycle, making well‐timed decisions about withdrawal, extension,redevelopment, new market entry and strategies for mid‐cycle growth in conjunction with the Heads of SectorDevelopment
● Create winning propositions that have clear USPs and meet the financial targets agreed
● Track, analyse and respond to competitor activity
● Manage opex and capex budgets for qualifications within a sector/sectors.
●Contribute to the financial and strategic planning process, reviewing one‐ and three‐year forecasts for a sector/sectors .
3. Supporting customers through the lifecycle and improving customer experience
● Review customer experience at regular points through the lifecycle (from customer satisfaction tracking to regular,in‐depth qualitative insight)
● Work with colleagues to instigate a step‐change in the customer experience of our vocational and work‐basedlearning qualifications, to deliver consistently high satisfaction and retention levels, and to systematically attractnew business● Anticipate and meet customer needs better than our competitors, defining and at times commissioning sectorspecific, high‐quality free surround and support services at launch, for tenders and/or throughout the lifecycle aspart of a coherent, integrated proposition across free and paid‐for.
4. Briefing, developing and launching new products and services
● Create design proposals for qualifications and end‐point assessments that draw from a strong, research‐drivenevidence base (including labour market information), and deliver the strategy and proposition agreed
● Contribute to qualification and end‐point assessment developments through the writing, submission andresubmission process (e.g. sourcing and briefing writers, reviewing materials, ongoing content research anddevelopment) to ensure they are fully in line with stakeholder and customer requirements and our strategy
● Secure customer and stakeholder support, endorsement and exclusive partnerships for our qualifications
● Work with sales and marketing colleagues to devise and implement an effective data‐driven campaign strategy andcustomer journey
● Work with professional development and marketing colleagues to plan, commission and deliver customer‐facingevents and networks; and to recruit, train and deploy sector specialists for events.
5. Leadership and people management
● Work effectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support ofPearson UK and BTEC and Apprenticeships divisional strategies
● Champion a ‘customer first’ culture across Pearson, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to theneeds of our customers and learners
● Lead on departmental initiatives to deliver better service to our customers and learners, and drive growth
● Mentor and manage staff as required
Desired behavioural competencies :
● Virtual team and people leadership and management skills
● Strategic thinking skills: the ability to think strategically, identify attractive market segments and key sources ofcompetitive advantage, and to balance a strong commercial focus with regulatory and legal requirements,assessment reliability/validity and operational requirements to create solutions for customers that are practicaland have competitive advantage
● Creative thinking and customer empathy: the ability to articulate new propositions based on customer needs
● Relationship building: in particular, with customers, employers, professional bodies, commercial partners,government agencies and within Pearson
● Communication, networking and influencing externally and internally (in particular to work effectively withcolleagues in Pearson across different sites and within a matrix structure)
● Commercial and financial planning skills: the ability to plan and monitor revenue and profit
● Organisational and project management skills
● Organisationally Agile - Adapts quickly to new situations where roles and work are not clearly defined.Proactively seeks information to understand the reasons for change and adapts approach accordingly.
● Influences without Authority - Conveys messages and clear outcomes to diverse audiences using the mosteffective channels in an easily understood, convincing and actionable manner. Identifies stakeholders, seeks inputand actively listens to build support and identify best solutions.
● Prioritises and makes Effective Decisions - Breaks down work into manageable parts, assessing the prioritiesand schedule required to deliver on time. Ensures the quality of the data provided to analyse possible solutions andsupport effective decision making.
● Builds Relationships - Creates relationships with peers quickly and confidently, building trust and win‐winpartnerships. Proactively networks with other teams to discuss common issues and share knowledge.
This role can be based at either the London or Oxford office.
Essential skills, qualifications and experience:
● Qualified to degree level or equivalent
● Experience and understanding of qualifications and the UK education market and environment (e.g. colleges,private training providers, employers, professional bodies)
● Experience and understanding of the sport sector/sectors.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Other Locations GB-GB-Oxford
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 28, 2016