Junior Paralegal - IP
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson is seeking a Junior Paralegal - IP to join our Global IP Legal Team. Our work is challenging and offers an excellent opportunity for a skilled administrative assistant to advance your career. In this role, you will be working for one of the largest educational, assessment and publishing corporations in the world. This position also offers the opportunity to work with some of Pearson’s most well-known brands, alongside other dedicated professionals on a wide variety of intellectual property legal matters. Working with us in a corporate capacity requires a strong focus in your area of expertise and strong attention to detail coupled with a strategic understanding of the overarching goals of the company, our customers, and your colleagues.
The Junior Paralegal - IP will assist in all aspects of intellectual property administration and management to include: trademark prosecution, trademark clearance, trademark opposition and infringement matters, copyright filings, domain name registrations, invention disclosure, docketing and other general administrative matters and miscellaneous tasks.
● Manage trademark docketing system and prepare portfolio and related reports (approximately 40% of role);
● Prepare and submit new trademark applications and other trademark prosecution and adverse filing documents online using the USPTO TEAS filing system, TTAB filing system, and international renewal filing systems as available;
● Attend to legalization of documents;
● Provide general administrative support to the IP group, including but not limited to scheduling and coordinating conference calls and group meetings, travel arrangements, document preparation (typing, editing, proofing legal documents, correspondence, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets and reports) and related duties;
● Assist with invention disclosure and patent annuities;
● Assist with domain name portfolio management;
● Managing and maintaining filing systems and records (digital and physical files);
● Manage data input and database management for contracts, brand database, matter management systems, e-billing, and others as required;
● Act as liaison for the department with finance and vendors, including outside counsel, handling invoices and expenses;
● Participate in team and department meetings; and
● Perform a variety of project-related duties to support the Global IP group.
● A high school degree or equivalent;
● At least 3 years related experience as a IP secretary or administrator;
● Experience with trademark docketing;
● Experience with USPTO on-line portals (i.e., TESS, TARR, TEAS, ETAS, and ESTTA);
● High proficiency in frequently used software programs (MS Word, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Google Sheets, Outlook, Google Mail, SharePoint) and familiarity with simple database and file management.
● Experience with WebTMS trademark docketing management
● Experience with Serengeti e-billing systems
● Experience with trademark research professional products/tools such as SAEGIS or CORSearch and trademark watch services
● Experience with patent annuities
● Knowledge of domestic and international trademark laws and regulations
● In-house law department experience
REQUIRED JOB COMPETENCIES
● Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal, written and verbal skills are essential; must be able to deal effectively and responsively with people at all levels of the organization and outside the company;
● Must have proficiency in grammar, spelling, punctuation and composition;
● Must possess strong time management and organizational skills;
● Must possess outgoing and positive attitude;
● Ability to work with detailed information in an organized fashion utilizing problem-solving and decision-making skills;
● Accuracy and attention to detail are essential;
● Must use resourcefulness and pragmatism in finding solutions and information from a variety of sources;
● Capacity to prioritize tasks with a results orientation while remaining calm under pressure in a fast paced environment; and
● Initiative to work pro-actively and independently and problem-solve with minimal direction, yet be willing to ask for help when needed;
Ability to work collaboratively is essential (sense of humor greatly appreciated).
Primary Location: US-MN-Bloomington
Organization: Corporate Finance, Strategy & Legal
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 29, 2016